Day 97: History Lesson (30’s, 40’s, and 50’s)

It’s the final week of our 100 days of sharing!  Here, is another bit of the timeline that’s gotten us to 100 years of service!

1930
Catholic Charities has branch offices in Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Barberton and Massillon. Central office in downtown Cleveland serves as clearing house for admission of all children to institutional care and future placement.

1933

  • Fr. LeBlond appointed Bishop of St. Joseph, Missouri
  • Fr. Michael Moriarity appointed Director of Catholic Charities

1934
Declaration issued that Catholic Charities Corporation conduct Annual Appeal to assist direct services, raising $186,163

September 1937
Introduction of Catholic Youth Organization, designed to serve youth, coordinate and organize youth activities, serve young people at parish level and speak on behalf of youth in the community

1939
The Sisters of the Incarnate Word take over the administration of the Home of the Holy Family after Ellen Donovan dies.

1940
Fr. Albert Murphy, Ph.D. leaves post at National Conference of Catholic Charities in Washington to assume position of Diocesan Director of Catholic Charities in Cleveland.

1942

  • Catholic Youth Service Bureau established, emphasizing a professional approach to youth services, rather than a commendable volunteer plan, to serve adolescent boys and girls.
  • The Diocese of Cleveland acquires the Cunningham Sanitarium on E. 185th and Lakeshore; a new building (later becoming St. Joseph Academy) is called St. Joseph-on-the-Lake.

1943

  • Diocese of Youngstown established, leaving 8 counties within the Diocese of Cleveland serving 450,000 Catholics
  • Bishop Edward F. Hoban accepts the deed to the Delaney home, another generous gift to the Diocese, which is located adjacent to Rose-Mary Center, and is named St. Theresa’s Home for Preschool Children

March 1944
109 girls remaining at St. Joseph Orphanage for Girls are transferred to St. Joseph-on-the-Lake (formerly the site of Cunningham Sanitarium).

1947

  • Bishop Edward F. Hoban (Bishop of Cleveland from 1945 – 1966) dedicates additional cottages at Parmadale Children’s Village to accommodate over 100 girls transferred from the former St. Joseph Orphanage for Girls in 1948. Cottages 16, 18, and 20 were added. The girls moved into the side near the administration building (the Family Center).
  • Catholic Charities central office moves to Chancery Building
  • Catholic Charities opens branch office in Painesville
  • Catholic Charities assumes responsibilities for Catholic children following the dissolution of the Cleveland Children’s Bureau of the Humane Society

1948
Catholic Charities Bureau added new agency, Resettlement Council, in response to a growing refugee and immigrant population, and to coordinate efforts on behalf of displaced newcomers to Cleveland

May 15, 1949
The new Rose-Mary Home, which joined the Grasselli and Delaney Homes and was considered to be a state-of-the art Center for children with physical disabilities, was dedicated to coincide with the 31st annual Catholic Charities Campaign. Auxilary Bishop Floyd L. Begin officiated.

1950

  • Fr. Frederick Mohan appointed Director of Catholic Charities Bureau
  • Catholic Charities opens office in Wooster
  • Catholic Service League of Akron opens Lenora Hall home for working girls

1951
Catholic Big Brothers and Sisters program becomes a separate program under Catholic Charities Bureau.

1952

  • Parmadale Children’s Village accepts the girls from the defunct Holy Family Children Home.
  • Parmadale adds a convent and an administration building.

1953
Marycrest School for girls opens in Independence [Marycrest was established in 1948 from the House of Good Shepherd; at first in Wickliffe and then moved to Independence in 1986; their Wickliffe building was sold and became the Boromeo Seminary]

1953
Catholic Child Guidance Clinic is established for five- to eleven-year-old children with emotional problems, providing expert clinical interventions.

1956
Dominican Sisters open 25 bed temporary facility to serve “all needy incurable cancer victims without regard for race, color or religion, free of charge.” First patient admitted in October was non-Catholic.

June 1959
Archbishop Hoban dedicates 100-bed Holy Family Home, built with funds raised by Catholic Charities Corporation. In the 3 years since its inception, 1,224 patients were served, 781 of whom were Catholic.

 

Advertisements